88 Harcourt Street
Dublin 2, D02 DK18
Tel: +353 1 691 5281
Fax: +353 1 691 5010
He has over twenty years’ experience advising clients on all aspects of taxation law, with particular expertise advising on inbound/outbound structuring via Ireland, financial services and property-related tax, including structured finance transactions, capital market issues, investment funds and cross border financings, mergers and acquisitions, inward investment, group re-organisations and holding structures.
Anthony advises private and public sector clients, international corporations and financial institutions and sector expertise includes Health and Life Sciences, Financial Services, Real Estate, Inward Investment and Public Sector.
Anthony is also a regular speaker and writer on international tax and financial services issues. He has lectured previously for a number of professional accountancy bodies in Ireland and is a co-author of the IBFD’s publication on Transfer-Pricing in Ireland. He is a member of both An Taoiseach’s IFSC Insurance Tax Group and the Irish Securitisation Forum.
- Anthony Smyth is the firm’s head of tax and a recognised expert on international taxation. “Smyth is very good at delivering,” remarks one impressed client of his, adding: “He has a lot of local connections in the business world in Dublin, which is helpful.” – Chambers Europe 2019
- Clients compliment Anthony Smyth’s approach, reporting that “he consistently delivers advice that is actionable and practical.” – Chambers Europe, 2018
- Anthony Smyth of ByrneWallace has broad experience of tax law, with notable experience of issues relating to the financial services and property sectors, as well as drawing praise for his expertise in the tax aspects of technology-related investments. Clients appreciate him as “great at interpreting our needs, and amazing at understanding international and Irish tax systems.” – Chambers Europe, 2016
- Anthony is recommended in a number of legal international directories including: World Tax, Chambers Global, PLC Which Lawyer?, Who’s Who Legal, Best Lawyers and Guide to the World’s Leading Tax Advisers.
- “Anthony Smyth of ByrneWallace regularly advises international corporations, particularly US companies, on all areas of tax law.” Ranked Individual in Chambers & Partners, 2014
- “Anthony Smyth is identified for his work on domestic and international corporate tax matters, particularly involving the financial services sector.” – Chambers Global, 2011
- “Anthony Smyth ‘always does an excellent job in tax’.” – Chambers Global, 2010
- “Clients see Anthony Smyth as a pivotal resource on both tax and insurance.” – Legal 500, 2010
In contrast to several other Irish law firms, we operate primarily as a ‘front end’ service, where we act as sole and lead counsel in most transactions as well as in an ongoing advisory role. This has allowed us to build a strong portfolio of domestic and international clients from both the private and public sectors.
Focused on offering pragmatic and realistic solutions, we advise a broad range of clients including private and public sector organisations, international corporations, financial institutions as well as private clients. As part of our multi-disciplinary approach, we regularly work alongside lawyers from our other practice areas to advise on the taxation aspects of client transactions.
Our team has developed specialist expertise advising clients on structured finance transactions, capital market issues, investment funds and cross border financings. We have significant experience in the area of intellectual property planning, mergers and acquisitions, inward investment, group re-organisations, property acquisition and holding structures. We also provide advices on all personal taxation matters including employment related issues, pensions, retirement, succession planning and other matters affecting high net worth individuals.
ByrneWallace is one of Ireland’s largest law firms with a team of nearly 300 professionals which includes 45 highly experienced partners. We are a forward thinking law firm and are dedicated to the protection and promotion of our clients’ interests through the provision of expert legal services. Our expertise is borne out of our 40 year heritage, our high professional standards and a commitment to recruit and develop the most talented lawyers.
Our service is driven by senior and experienced lawyers. Our partner-led approach fosters greater collaboration, a stronger connection to our clients and enables us to harness the collective experience of the ByrneWallace team.
We offer a diversity of expertise that covers all significant areas of Irish law. This means that we can deliver the expert advice and knowledge which helps to protect and promote your interests.
We conduct business locally, regionally and on a national and an international basis with links to firms across Europe, the USA and Australasia. When needed, we also offer our clients connections to the world via our membership in international law firm network group ALFA International. Founded in 1980, ALFA International has 150 members across the globe enabling us to leverage resources and experience to better serve our clients.
“Anthony Smyth is the firm’s head of tax and a recognised expert on international taxation. “Smyth is very good at delivering,” remarks one impressed client of his, adding: “He has a lot of local connections in the business world in Dublin, which is helpful.”