P.O. Box 8034
Tel: +41 58 658 56 05
Maurus is a Member of the Executive Committee of the International Fiscal Association (IFA) and a Member of the Executive Board of the Swiss Tax Law Association (Swiss branch of IFA). He regularly lectures and publishes in his areas of practice.
Maurus has been recommended by several international directories such as Chambers, The Legal 500, Who’s Who Legal and Best Lawyers as a leading lawyer. Clients appreciate that he is ‘exceptionally strong”, “very dynamic”, “commercially-minded” and “practical” (Chambers 2018).
Born in 1972, Maurus received his degree in law from the University of Zurich in 1997 and his Master of Laws from the University of Virginia in 2002. He was admitted to the Zurich Bar in 1999 and became a Swiss Certified Tax Expert in 2004.
Maurus speaks German and English.
- Mergers and acquisitions (M&A): We offer our clients high-quality tax advice spanning the full range of national and international M&A transactions (public and private, listed and non-listed)
- Reorganisations and restructurings: We ensure that reorganisations and restructurings do not adversely impact companies’ tax situations and develop practical, innovative, and tax-aligned solutions for companies in financial difficulties
- Financial and capital markets: We manage financial and capital market transactions together with the lawyers from our Corporate Finance & Capital Markets practice group, helping our clients develop and implement structures that offer the best possible tax advantages
- Investment funds:We advise funds, sponsors and investors when structuring collective investment vehicles, investments, and asset management transactions with a view to tax optimisation
- International structuring and relocation of business functions:We have in-depth experience in the area of tax optimisation for cross-border and multinational companies
- Social security benefits for employees and international assignees: We advise our clients on issues relating to tax and social security law when conducting cross-border business together with the lawyers from our Employment Law practice group
- Estate planning and charitable organisations:We have considerable experience in the fields of international tax and estate planning for companies and high net worth individuals
- VAT and customs:We ensure that the national and international VAT implications of specific transactions are identified and dealt with at an early stage and that VAT risks and costs are minimised through targeted planning
- Risk management and tax proceedings:We help our clients identify and monitor tax risks. Where conflicts arise, we manage negotiations with the responsible authorities and represent the interests of our clients in disputes relating to tax law
- Tax legislation and lobbying:We have in-depth experience in advising clients and legislators on tax legislation, from the drafting stage through to its entry into force
We are a dynamic law firm with flat management structures and a very friendly atmosphere. The team of around 200 legal experts – all of whom with a high level of professional qualifications, international experience and excellent knowledge in many languages – is augmented by approximately 100 employees working in support functions.
Growth and a close relationship to our clients are the factors that determine our success. Walder Wyss was established in Zurich in 1972 and has since grown continuously. With offices in Zurich, Geneva, Basel, Berne, Lausanne and Lugano, we are able to offer our clients a personalized and high quality one stop shop for all legal and tax advisory needs across all language regions of Switzerland.
Our strong national and international network of correspondents and partners from a broad range of disciplines are selected according to the highest standards of professional competence.
“Maurus Winzap assists clients from a range of sectors, such as insurance companies and consultancy firms, with the tax aspects of corporate transactions and financing mandates. Interviewees enthuse: “He is very sharp, technically brilliant, hands-on, responsive and a pleasure to work with.”